Saturday, October 10, 2009

Waiting-and Ropas Viejas

I'm at my daughter's in the north country, waiting on Baby to arrive. And I brought the recipe with me for the spicy shredded beef the Mexicans call Ropas Viejas. Several people said they would like that recipe after I mentioned having made it in my last post. I got this recipe from Sunset Magazine a long time ago.
This is just a photo copied from my first post about this place, because it's a shame not to have a picture, it is so lovely up here. As soon as I arrived I glimpsed another part of the deer clan that call it home as well, Crazy Doe and her fawn, and Split Ear (young buck). Maybe I will get some more deer pictures while I am here.

Ropas Viejas

2# boneless beef chuck, trimmed of most of the fat
Place in a 5-6-quart pan with 1/4 cup of water. (I always use cast iron, but I don't think it's necessary.) Cover and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes. Uncover and cook until liquid boils away and meat is well-browned; turn as needed.

Lift out meat. To pan, add 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar; scrape to loosen browned bits. Stir in 1 1/2 cups beef broth, 2 tablespoons chili powder, and 1 teaspoon ground cumin.

Return meat to the pan, bring to a boil, cover, and simmer over medium heat until meat is very tender and easily pulled apart, about 2 hours.

Let meat cool, then tear into shreds. Mix with remaining pan juices. Use to fill enchiladas or burritos.

3 comments:

Pom Pom said...

Oh, I am so excited about the baby! I just love little pink shrimpies! Blessings to you, Grandma!
I am taking some time away from beef, but your recipes are always wonderfully homey and earthy! Have fun!

gretchen from lifenut said...

I bookmarked this because I could use another method for making meats to shred. Usually, I throw a pork or beef roast in the crockpot and cook on low all day, but I don't always have all day. Or planning skills.

I assumed anything roasted for a few hours couldn't be very tender. I'll give this a whirl.

Anita said...

Thank-you thank-you. I love simple delicious recipes. My husband took off hunting for a week but I am going to try this soon.

+ a new grandbaby...I have five grandsons. I mentioned that I really needed another fresh baby to my daughter-in-law but she said she is finished...OH I sure love that new baby head..all velvety and the smell....OH Blessed are you!