Friday, April 27, 2012

Maui Diary 1 - Enchanted

View from our back door

My first view of Maui was of slender palm trees bending and blowing wildly in the strong wind, as our plane dropped down over the airport. Getting off, we didn't walk through the usual airtight and musty corridors, but into an open-air terminal with the smell of flowers wafting through.





Field of lava





Almost all the palm trees I saw over the next few hours were nice to look at, lacking the many dead fronds I'm used to seeing on those at home, and a great many of a variety of trees we saw during our stay appeared to have been trimmed carefully and maintained in such a way to highlight the natural and graceful curves of the trunks and branches.




Red Ginger


Mr. Glad and I had come to live in the soft air of Maui for eleven whole days in March, to celebrate our wedding anniversary and God's love to us and in us. What better place, where the Creation itself seems so gently embracing and kind.

We flew straight from San Francisco to Maui and didn't wander from that island, and we stayed all but one night in one condo in Kihei, on the South Shore. (The red ginger bloomed a few steps from our patio -- or as they say in Hawaii, lanai.) I loved having that home base to return to from our daily adventures. I will be writing a series of posts to scrapbook many of my impressions and our Glad doings on this island holiday.

8 comments:

Anastasia Theodoridis said...

So glad you did this, and can't wait to read the rest!

Martha said...

Wow...it looks lovely! How I miss palm trees...is that red ginger just a name or is the root really edible?

GretchenJoanna said...

Martha, I just got around to researching that question myself. The red ginger is an ornamental and isn't considered edible. Evidently "There are over 2400 different plants that are called gingers in several different genuses." The one that we eat is *Zingiber officinale*. I'm glad you prompted me to find out!

elizabeth said...

what a special trip and time you've had! I look forward to hearing about it :)

heather west said...

WOW! What a great trip. Thanks for the pics. . .am anticipating more. . .

Gumbo Lily said...

What a lovely trip for Lovers.

Jody

Anastasia said...

It looks so beautiful. That last picture looks to me more like a what I imagine place in Africa would look after a rain, I would not have guessed it was Maui!

Martha said...

Thank you for letting me know about that ginger....WOW, there are so many different kinds of ginger! ♥