Monday, January 16, 2012

Sunshine Bounty

Our neighbor Elizabeth stopped Mr. Glad and me as we were walking past her house and gave us these lemons that she had just picked.

Citrus fruits are like a long-term investment that God makes on our behalf, pouring light and heat into the fruits over several months, then rain for another while, as we work and play through Spring and Summer and Fall.

Then comes the time of year when light is weak and slant. We need extra vitamin C in our diets, and some color in our field of vision. Well, aren't we lucky. The activity in the account we probably weren't thinking about bears a dividend of sunshine.

8 comments:

Kassianni said...

picking lemons in the middle of january?? I live in the wrong place. :(

Gumbo Lily said...

So beautiful and so good-for-you! How about lemon cloud pie? How do you like to eat your lemons?

Jody

Anita said...

Lemons in January..what a day-brightener!

Pom Pom said...

Wow! Aren't they perfect? I love lemons. They are so beautiful.

Jeannette said...

All that and a neighbor to pick them for you and share them with you...

Martha said...

How delightful...and so you made those lemon poppy cookies using them? I really want to make those...my mom's 67th birthday is February 6th AND she LOVES lemon sweets.

GretchenJoanna said...

Marfa, No, the lemons in the bowl came just last week, and I made the cookie dough before Christmas. Also, the recent lemons in the picture are Meyer lemons, and I used regular lemons -- such as I grew up with -- for the cookies.

Sarah said...

What beautiful lemons! As I look around at the seasonal bounty in my region, I'm grateful and impressed too at God's design and creation of such wonderful foods.