Friday, January 20, 2012

Rain Songs

Rain is falling and I'm happy. Recently I refreshed my memory bank of rain songs by means of the recording, "Rainy Day Dances, Rainy Day Songs," by Patty Zeitlin and Marcia Berman. We used to borrow an LP from the library when the kids were little, and the songs have lodged in my mind forever.

On the recording there was also an instrumental tune, "Over the Waterfall," played on the hammered dulcimer. I can't find anything on YouTube by the musicians who gave us this collection that so blessed my children and me, but I did find a similar, simpler rendition.




I loved the silly dancing and singing we did to songs like "I Don't Care if the Rain Comes Down," "Windy Day," and "Why Can't I Play in the Rain?"

I bought my CD copy of the album from the Bullfrog Ballades site, where you can also hear samples of the songs. Today I'm having a lazy day being thankful that God is watering the earth again, as I let my thoughts slosh about in rainy images like this one of me (on the left) with my sister a long time ago. If you can't play in the rain, perhaps a puddle will do.

4 comments:

heather west said...

ooooooo. . .does that mean rain is headed our way?!?!?!? and, i LOVE the hammered dulcimer. it's on my list of 'to learn' items. it's at the top. that and knitting.

Jeannette said...

I like that hairstyle on you!

Gumbo Lily said...

Such a beautiful dulcimer song. Isn't it fun to think back on all of those sweet songs we sang together with our children. Very, very fond memories. Now I'm singing them to the grands.

I was thinking as I walked through the snow today that it felt something like walking through water (it was about 6" deep). Your rain makes our snow.

Jody

Emily J. said...

That photo is a treasure. I love the expression on your faces.

Planning to try lemony cookies..