Thursday, February 25, 2010

Flowers of Matins

One lovely thing about attending more Matins services during Lent is being able to see the flowers in the early morning light. When I walk out the church door to my car, I reach for my camera, and --more often than not, it's missing!

This morning I found it in the pocket, and walked around a while snapping pictures.

This first one of a camellia has a stray redwood twig hanging on. We have a lot of those cluttering up the garden beds, as there is at least one tall Coast Redwood (Sequoia sempervirens) on the property. Check out the link if you are unclear about the different types of redwood trees.

Long ago when I was in labor of childbirth with my Valentine baby, a friend brought me a bouquet of daphne for my bedside; that was my introduction to the heady scent of this plant. I never realized until this month that I've been looking at it growing at church for several years.
  


 
This afternoon I had another photo opportunity and my camera was home on the computer table where I'd been uploading these pics. So now, I've put it back in my purse, and I'm considering an outing tomorrow for the sole purpose of photo-shooting, to catch more glimpses of early spring in my neighborhood.

7 comments:

Michelle M. said...

Beautiful flowers! I received a potted, flowering plant when our daughter was born, and, to this day, it has been the only plant that I have kept alive. It is now 2 1/2 years old and flowers beautifully in the Spring.

Emily J. said...

Love all the colors and textures in the last shot of the cyclamen. Have never seen it growing outside of a pot.

Leslie said...

These are beautiful! I love the pink of the camellia and I wish I could smell the daphne. I can't wait for flowers to start making their appearance here. ::sigh::

Cathy said...

I love to have a cyclamen adorning my windowsill during the cold winter months. I must say I have never planted them outside. Are they like the camellias in your zone?

Beautiful pictures.

elizabeth said...

beautiful! I can't wait until we have flowers here...

h west said...

Fabulous. I'm so glad spring is on it's way. . .

DebD said...

I love the photos, especially since we had another smattering of snow last night.