Thursday, February 4, 2010

Doll in Blue

When I first saw the needle-felted dolls people were selling on the Internet it was love at first sight. I can look at pictures of them for hours, and I have dreamed of learning the art. My daughter also loved them; she is more likely to get around to teaching herself to create her own than I am.




At Christmas she gave me this exquisite example made in Israel. This little lady and her cat both have limbs that can be repositioned, and if he jumps out of her arms to go prowling about it will be o.k. I adore her fat red braids, which are set off nicely by that blue hat and dress.

So I have my own soft featherweight doll to hold in my hands, not just to look at. Certainly my feelings for her go beyond infatuation--I'm confident they will prove to be enduring devotion.

12 comments:

Leslie said...

This is really beautiful. I can so see why you love her. I love the kitty. What a great work of art.

margaret said...

She IS beautiful, her hair is so luxuriant and her blue is the perfect blue. There is always something somehow fascinating about felted wool, it really is gorgeous stuff. Congratulations on the acquisition!

Kari of Writing Up A Storm said...

This doll is so sweet, I can see why you love her. The felt gives her such a soft, appealing look, and the cat in her arms is a darling. I love that sash tied at her back. It makes me want to take up felted art, too! xo Kari

Left-Handed Housewife said...

I've never seen a doll like this before. What glorious hair! And the cat is amazing. I can see the temptation to take up making felting dolls. Wouldn't it be marvelous to give a doll like this to all the little girls on your list?

frances

p.s. Am mailing the books on Monday, honest! We've had a bunch of snow, and I've refuse to drive for days now.

Pom Pom said...

She IS lovely. What's her name?

GretchenJoanna said...

I'm glad you asked, Pom Pom. I don't know yet. Does she bring a name to your mind?

Emily J. said...

I love these! I tried making a few unfortunate "math gnomes" with regular felt last year, but they were pretty pathetic. They would hide under a rock if they met this lovely doll. Amazing details!

DebD said...

she is quite adorable. How fun.

Gigi said...

Oh, she is just beautiful - a lot like you!
Thank you so much for your prayers & good wishes for my DD!
Bless you,
G

GretchenJoanna said...

I think I will call her Margaret. I had an Aunt Margaret who was always a fashionable dresser and very elegant, not to mention that Margaret sounds like a little girl who is quite proper. And did you know that Gretchen means "little Gret" and is a nickname for Margaret?

Gumbo Lily said...

She's sweet! I was going to ask her name, but I see you've shared it with us in your comments. Margaret is a fine name for her. I like it and she looks like a Margaret to me.

What a treasure.

JOdy

The dB family said...

She IS beautiful! Such detail! I love the kitty that she is holding too!

Blessings!
Deborah