Tuesday, February 23, 2010

February Travels


It's almost three weeks since I drove north to the home of Seventh Grandson; that's the trip that began with cherries. I thought that before the seasons change any further I'd better make my report of the expedition.

Soon after the sighting of cherries, I was driving through country with bare-branched orchards. They always look so gorgeous as I speed along; when I stop to take a picture my efforts never capture the majesty and expanse. I think these must be almonds, because I'm pretty sure they are not walnuts or pears, which I would expect to be there.


Farther up the state from the volcanic peak by which I saw the cherries, there is this one. We have a whole string of such dramatic mountains running up the western states, and on our travels we can mark our progress by spying them in the distance long before we get close.


When I got within five minutes of my goal, the rain had turned to snow, and several inches fell that night, after I snapped some pictures to compare with last summer's shots. You can see Spike the deer next to the yellow shed that is in the middle of a snowfield now.

Things are much milder, however, than last month when a wild snowstorm dumped record amounts of snow on this homestead, knocking out power for days and keeping my daughter and her husband busy melting water on the stove and carving out tunnels to outbuildings.  The next two snowy pictures are of that episode, from which they have largely returned to normal.





For several days I worked to get to know that dear little stove, but I'm not sure I ever figured out how to keep a slow fire going; it was either too hot, or it went out.






20 years ago I bought these boots from Eddie Bauer for the rain, but they served pretty well for the small amount of tromping around in the snow I did.


A lucky new cat is living in the house, bringing the total temporarily to four. This one is called Little Cat, because the householders are hoping to find another home for the foundling, and don't want to give him a real name yet. He has upset the feline social order to the point where various ones are snarling and facing off several times a day, especially near dinnertime.

If Little Cat is still needing a home after my remodeling project is done, I hope to adopt him myself. He has the cutest cat face I've ever seen.
While I was there I finally finished putting a drawstring into this bag that contained the 7th Grandson Quilt. You can see it with just a ribbon around it and the quilt inside, and now with its black string to match the checkered bottom.

It's a weirdly shaped bag because I made it from leftover fabric to match and house the quilt, but I thought perhaps someday it could hold an overflow of stuffed animals or some blankets or ???, in which case the drawstring would make it much more handy.

7th Grandson himself, of course, was THE focal point of my stay. He doesn't like lying on his tummy on the floor, but it's thought good for the boy to do a little Pilates work there. Children these days spend so much time in car seats and such. I caught his photograph before he became totally irate.
Before I had to return home, rain washed the snow off the trees, and the sun came out. Soon I'll be loading up the car to make another visit! It will be interesting to see what changes have occurred in one month, and what adventures might lie in my path.

10 comments:

elizabeth said...

lovely! looks like a special time!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful country, but no thanks to all of that snow! Grandson #7 is adorable, and I'm sure he'll love the blanket. We use a wood stove exclusively to heat our house. I can remember after we worked really hard to build a hearth and install it, when I tried to fire it up, I completely failed. I didn't think it worked! With some practice, we're all experts at it now.

amy said...

I so enjoyed reading about your trip; the photos are such a nice touch to complement your journal =-) Congrats on that new grandbaby!

Pom Pom said...

He's so handsome! I'd take that kitty home, too. You are perfect together! The orchards are lovely and I felt like I was along for the ride!

GretchenJoanna said...

That's my daughter with the kitty, not me! I did get to have some cuddle time with him, though.

DebD said...

I loved the photos, especially the one from the orchard and the one of your grandson looking out at the snow. Thanks for including us in your travel news.

h west said...

Those orchard pics are GORGEOUS!!! And, I, too love the one with the little munchkin looking at the snow. Makes me like snow. . .well, for a split second maybe! Hee! Hee!

Michelle M. said...

What beautiful photos.. and a handsome little guy!! It sounds like you had such a wonderful time.

Gumbo Lily said...

Oh, that sweet grandboy! Is he lying on the quilt you made? I love the tummy pilates he's doing too. So cute!

Jody

GretchenJoanna said...

No, Jody, the quilt I made doesn't show in any of these photos, though it is linked near the picture of the drawstring bag. That family has had at least a dozen homemade quilts bestowed on them in the past two years, the ones in these pictures among them.