Sunday, November 1, 2009

My Ode

Ten or so years ago our home school was engaging in a poetry study, more focused and meaty than the usual informal enjoyment and memorization. I gave an assignment to the children to write their own "poem of direct address," and in the spirit of Education is Lifelong and Something You Do to Yourself, I wrote one, too.

Last night B. and I went to a Music and Poetry Night, and I read my poem, along with others not my own, which were more serious and poetic. I will share those later. But for now, here is my

Ode to a Rice Cake

I can’t resist you, rice cake,
Your crunch and subtle flavor.
I cannot see you in your bag
And say “I’ll eat one later.”

My hands reach out compulsively
And stuff you right on in.
My teeth sink into your crispness;
The crumbs drift down my chin.

Others mock and call you sparse,
They say you’re lean and thin.
I alone will sing your praise
For the feast that you have been.

Fluffy, tasty pockets of air,
Plain yet savory food.
You’re a technological wonder:
Complex, simple, and good.

I still feel the same way about these snacks, which is why I don't normally keep any in the house. Besides, they make an awful mess, and the cat doesn't care to eat the crumbles off the floor.

3 comments:

Anastasia Theodoridis said...

I love it!

And I love a rice treats, too, although a different kind. I love Rice Krispies Treats, made with marshmallows...

Anita said...

Oh, you make the tasteless cake,
in rhyme sound so very fine.
But while I enjoyed your lyrics I won't be tempted to try them again.

Gumbo Lily said...

They sound delicious by your Ode, but I don't like them. Give me chocolate cake!

Jody