Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Five First Lines -- Answers

Several people guessed, and came up with three out the five First Lines of Favorite Books. You can see who by looking at the Comments. I don't see a reason to wait a week to give the remaining answers, as the guesses have petered out (almost literally).

The rundown, including those already identified:

1-Letters of a Woman Homesteader by Eleanor Pruitt Stewart

2-For the Life of the World by Alexander Schmemann

3-We Die Alone by David Howarth, a true survival story from WWII

4-Perelandra by C.S. Lewis

 5-The Land Was Everything by Victor Davis Hanson. Hanson spoke for my father and thousands of other farmers like him--and Hanson himself--about the farmer's life in California's Central Valley.



Thanks to everyone who looked in on these puzzles. It's a treasure hunt that is perhaps most fun for the one who finds the treasure to hide it in the first place, and I might just do myself the favor of posting another five first lines sometime.

3 comments:

DebD said...

now I have a few more books to add to my tbr pile. I enjoyed this too and may join you when you do it.

Harmony said...

I thought initially that #5 would be The Land Was Everything, but checked Amazon and it started with "Farmers are in a dilemma."--from Letter One. Now I see that there is section before Part One that must start with your line... the internet only gets you so far.

Leslie said...

This has really made me pay more attention to first lines of books. I might have found a new obsession! :D