Saturday, February 1, 2014

radishes



Here's something different, which my CSA box inspired this week, with the inclusion of a bunch of beautiful and plump radishes. They are of course as pretty as Christmas to look at, but I wanted to make something yummy to eat with them, and not just scatter them for color into a green salad.

As you can see, the tops were large and in good shape, too, so I was happy to find a recipe on Epicurious.com that included them.


The only real change I made was to cook one bunch instead of four, but that was plenty for the two of us, because in this case we had two other vegetable dishes.

The greens and garlic added a lot to the flavor of the radishes, which after being sautéed were a very mild reminder of their turnip cousins.

We ate them all up!


8 comments:

Heather said...

I always forget that you can cook radishes. That looks delicious!

Gumbo Lily said...

I've never cooked radishes or their greens. Next time, I'm going to try it. It looks beautiful and delicious to eat.

Lisa Richards said...

Yummy idea! I never have cared for radishes, but I never thought of cooking them! Live and learn.

M.K. said...

What a great idea -- and who would have thought of sauteeing turnips? But it looks great. Good addition (and a colorful one) to the usual veggie assortment. I wonder if you could include them in a menagerie of baked root veggies? The winter kind. Just a thought.

Lorrie said...

Cooked radishes are something I tried for the first time last spring when I had a bumper crop. They do taste slightly turnip-ish. I used the leaves in a pureed soup, too.

Leslie said...

Well, you learn something everyday. I've never even thought about cooking radishes. It is a beautiful dish!

Pom Pom said...

You are a smart cook, GJ!

BajaManna said...

It never occurred to me to cook radishes until you mentioned it. We have really nice radishes in the store here (although the greens always seem WAY past using), so I'm going to try this soon.