Friday, August 6, 2010

Transfiguration

You were transfigured on the mountain, 
O Christ God,
revealing Your glory to Your disciples 
as far as they could bear it.
Let Your everlasting Light also shine upon us.... 
On this feast day it was good to go back and read my ruminations about Fr Arseny on the date last year. This year, unfortunately, I'm missing the services at church, but I have the troparion (above) playing in my mind.

Also another chorus from long ago, one that I don't think is popular currently in the Protestant world, that goes like this:
The Lord is my light and my salvation,
Whom then shall I fear? Whom then shall I fear?
The Lord is the strength of my life,
The Lord is the strength of my life.
Of whom then shall I be afraid?

At least, that is how it plays in my memory.

This icon I found on the Orthodox Church in America site, where its source was not given. Does anyone know?




4 comments:

elizabeth said...

blessed feast day!! Don't know where the Icon is from but would love to know; it is a beautiful one...

hill said...

Fr. Arseny certainly was a man transfigured by Christ. His story inspired and moved me deeply.

DebD said...

I loved Fr. Arseny's story. Joyous Feast to you, Gretchen. I do not know where the icon comes from either.

Martha said...

Happy feast day! We will celebrate in 13 days...it's one of my most favorite feasts! Do you bless baskets of fruit on the Transfiguration in your parish?

P.S. Thanks for the comment on my blog re: music...so funny, I honestly didn't even know exactly where that song came from, but love the sound of it!