Thursday, August 5, 2010

Cherry Tomatoes Then and Now


Today I had a hankering for soup, so it was lucky that I found in the freezer a quart of the Cherry Tomato Soup I concocted last summer, or fall, to be exact. It seemed to want to go with the quart of Ham and Bean Soup that I also found in there, and after that, it was only natural to throw in the leftover green beans that had a smearing of pesto on them. Yum.

Here is what last year's soup looked like before freezing. When I went back to find the post to link to, I noticed Anita's tale of how her curried tomato soup happened, and it sounds like something I'd like to try this year, if my eight plants produce. But--I'm afraid they might have blight!

Here's the biggest picking of tomatoes I've made so far. The green one is a Green Grape. It looks more like the Green Cherry I had last year, compared with the red one there, a plain Grape. The dark ones are Black Cherry, and the yellow are Yellow Cherry.

Thank God for cherry tomatoes, which ripen fairly quickly. Even they are three weeks late, and we are still waiting on the big tomatoes.

6 comments:

magsmcc said...

Today I had a most delicious roasted red pepper soup- but I had it in a coffee shop, so that's a bit of a cheat! I am fascinated by this book title with which you have now tantalised me twice. It is a sign! I shall seek it out in the best bookshop in Ireland next week, and on Amazon if that proves fruitless, or even vegetableless- there's another good fraise lachrymose term for you!

Pom Pom said...

I feel like making soup these days, too. Even though it's hot outside, people keep eating it. You have some interesting varieties there.

GretchenJoanna said...

magsmcc, What book title would that be?

I have made roasted red pepper soup, after I swooned over it in a restaurant. If you roast the vegetables (add some onion, garlic, etc etc), blend in the blender, add cream, mm-mm....

Martha said...

I hope you get more tomatoes...we have too many this year...we eat lots of them...my daughters have been selling them in the front yard this week...have made about $20!

Leslie said...

It is so hot here that soup is the last thing on my mind (a cool front is supposedly coming through and we will be down in the 90s! humph), but I have to say I love tomato soup and all things tomatoey and yours are beautiful!

The dB family said...

Yum! Despite the heat here, I ate soup this week too. My big tomatoes are still not ripe either. Some green ones have even fallen off the plant. I hope they ripen before I lose them all.

Blessings!
Deborah