Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Bit by Bit Remodel Report

This picture shows the living room while Armando is refinishing the ceiling. Last week I painted the family room ceiling three times, in order to get a primer coat and two finish coats on it.

I do love painting, though I am as slow as molasses in January. My tutor in the art was my friend L.M., ten years my senior, lo these 30+ years ago working on a church project. After we moved here she visited from New Hampshire and helped me paint my own walls. Naturally I always think of her when I have a brush in my hand.

My new stove is in, and the sink, so I heated water for tea this morning and washed a sinkful of dishes. That felt good.

Yesterday I worked at cleaning up the garden and planting the remainder of the things I bought two weeks ago, because rain was forecast for today. I brought in some lilies in honor of the milestone of usable counters and sink.

This window will be getting some wood trim, and before the end of May I'll have more progress to report and broader views to display of our beautifying efforts.

12 comments:

Leslie said...

Yay for a stove and sink. Your counter top is beautiful and so are those simply magnificent lilies!

elizabeth said...

how beautiful! I did not realize that these flowers are lilies...

M.K. said...

I really LOVE pictures of people's housing remodeling and work! It's so exciting to see freshening and changes. It looks lovely and and the new sink is so nice -- what beautiful counters! Your view looks peaceful. I was wondering about the railing in the first photo, between the front door (?) and the living room -- it seems to impede progress. Have you ever thought of removing it?

GretchenJoanna said...

Yes, M.K., that is the front door by the railing. There is a step down into the living room, and we haven't ever thought of removing the railing. I'm afraid children and elderly and those of us not attentive would stumble off, if there were nothing to impede.
The railing matches stair railing, which we are also keeping, and with it a bit of Mediterranean flavor. The entry floor will be changed to hardwood, along with the family room and the kitchen, which are contiguous to one another.

margaret said...

It's looking good! I too love other people's remodelling and redecoration - especially with lots of photos :)

DebD said...

I love your remodeling photos.

The dB family said...

Gretchen, I so enjoy your posts. I always learn something from YOU when I read your blog. Aren't Eastern redbuds beautiful?! You doll clothes are wonderful. I keep thinking I would like to sew some again too. I however, have never made any dolls. Something else can aspire too :o).

Blessings!
Deborah

Pom Pom said...

It's all so fresh and zesty! Gorgeous! I have my suit on and I'm coming over to swim. We had an iron rail like that when I was growing up. We set our school books on the corner.

Gumbo Lily said...

How exciting to have a "new" kitchen and everything in working condition. So happy for you.

Jody

Martha said...

Looks like you've been working hard...great photos from your vacation too!

Left-Handed Housewife said...

Everything is looking wonderful! I'm so glad you have counters and a sink again. And those lilies are amazing!

frances

GretchenJoanna said...

That funny looking "tree" that is in a line going up from the faucet handle is actually a giant branch that my husband cut off the plum tree and hasn't hauled away yet. :-(