Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Near Nativity


This fresco of the Nativity of Christ is on the wall at church, where I was blessed to attend Matins this morning. It was dark at the beginning of the service, with only a few candles burning. I held a candle to light The Six Psalms as I was chanting. As the service progressed, and light came through windows, this icon and others were revealed more clearly.

Our Flower Lady had brought buckets of white, red, and pink poinsettias, and garlands of berried branches to adorn the church. The chandelier was strung with fir branches and ribbons. Altar cloths are bright satin red.

I wanted to take pictures to capture the beauty, but then I realized that the impression is not only visual--the sensory input is part of it, through the sights I describe, the sounds of the hymns, the smells of incense and beeswax. But what really makes it worth passing on can't be carried over to mine or anyone's next moment, and that is the presence of God.

Merry Christmas!

7 comments:

Pom Pom said...

Wonderful. We're on the same page. I'm going to buy some chanting on iTunes. I just don't know which yet. I've been SO enjoying Music of Silence and learning a lot. The web site is gratefulness.org
Thank you for your friendship. I learn from YOU.

Gumbo Lily said...

Beautiful fresco and I know what you mean about a picture not capturing the feeling of "being there." Your words help me to understand.

Christmas blessings and joy!
Jody

DebD said...

But what really makes it worth passing on can't be carried over to mine or anyone's next moment, and that is the presence of God.

I know what you mean.

Anonymous said...

Didn't get to give you a physical hug today, so hope a virtual one will do... Merry Christmas!

Dana

Pom Pom said...

Merry Christmas to you, friend. Thank you for your true, true words. Our daughter had a miscarriage and being baby people, we are very sad for her, her family, and ourselves. The Lord is good, good, good in His unexplainable comfort and understanding LOVE.

Matt said...

Oh! I recognize that interior. I didn't know you go to church there. We're almost neighbors.

GretchenJoanna said...

Matt, I read your comments after you visited in Oct. :-) I was out of town then. If you come again, ask for me, it would be nice to meet.