Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Egg Lemon Soup


I've been cooking some old favorites today. One of them is Egg Lemon Soup. I got my recipe from a Greek cookbook decades ago, so I stick by it, though I've seen other methods and ingredients for making this soup. I'm sure every Greek lady has her own version, as well.

Greek Egg Lemon (Avgolemono) Soup

1 1/2 quarts chicken stock
juice of 1-2 lemons (I always use 2)

1/4 teaspoon summer savory (If you don't have this, use oregano. I think the savory is a relative of oregano). I used dried, but fresh would be lovely and leave you something to garnish with.

4 eggs, beaten


1 cup cooked rice
(If you don't have this, cook 1/2 cup raw rice in the stock until tender, and then the rice will just be there from the beginning.)

Heat the stock to almost boiling, with the herb. Beat the eggs and quickly whisk in the lemon juice. You can add some of the zest if you want. While beating briskly, add a cup or two of the broth to the egg mixture. Then add it back into the pot, along with the rice. Keep it from boiling, or it may curdle. Serve.

A bit of fresh chopped parsley would be perfect for scattering on top of this soup, but I couldn't find one leaf of it in the garden.

So...it's too cool a climate here to be able to eat outdoors very often, but the flip side of that is, we get to eat soup all summer long!

1 comment:

Jeannette said...

What, you can't eat outside? Hasn't it been quite hot in the county? You have that loively little spot ... Your soup sounds good.